Like every other college graduate, I had my life planned out. Then, God changed everything by calling me to serve as a missionary in Honduras for a year..... a new culture, a new language, and new opportunities.... a whole new adventure!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Animals Gone Wild Series II: Souvenir Shop, 2 Labradors, and "Is that....?"

I am about to take my trip home to the states, so of course I had a list of souvenirs I just had to buy.
My friend Erick said he would help me find what I needed, because he has a "gift" for bargaining in the markets. After circling the city a couple times and realizing all of Erick's "hot spots" were closed for Independence Day, we ended up at San Pedro Sula's largest mall in one last attempt to find the purse I just have to have.
The City Mall is a three - level, newly built mall, with many well - known designers like Zara, Kenneth Cole, Coach, Mango, and Aldo to name a few. However, Erick took me to a store I had never heard of before..... "A traditional souvenir store in the mall?" I thought.... but I was willing to give anything a try.
We walked in and the place looks pretty nice. There are "typico" picture frames, wraps, machetes, key chains, and colorful artwork all over the walls. As we start to look around, I go directly to the purses, because I already have a picture of the purse I want to buy in my mind.  As I am browsing, I feel something furry brush against my leg. I am completely "weirded out" because I am currently in a mall 5 times nicer than the Woodland Hills Mall I shopped at in Tulsa for 4 years, and nothing furry was even  allowed to be inside!
I look down to find a large, well groomed, black Labrador grazing my leg. A mix of shock and confusion hit me to why this dog was allowed to roam around the store and why was he sniffing me! Trying to locate the owner, but even more so, looking for a clear space to get away from this dog in an actually pretty tight space, I quickly, and quietly walked away.
I did indeed locate a clear area near Erick who was looking at picture frames. He was showing me an option I could  pick out for a family member when I hear HIM gasp. I turn to look behind me at what Erick is looking at - there it is - another Labrador - but this time it is yellow. "He has a brother!"
At this point I am wondering who would let these dogs in here!?
 My question was answered as the lady behind the counter noticed how much the dogs seemed to like us. She commented in Spanish, "Aren't they beautiful? I love having them around the store with me everyday. I could never just leave them at home."
Now I'm commenting, but to myself, "Oh my, what kind of souvenir shop.... is this?"
"...Well, it's about time to go. Let me just find my purse and we'll leave."
 I finally did find the perfect purse for my friend and I examined it one last time. As I pull it off it's hook to buy it, I hear a very strange sound.... like water.... but different... then a warm liquid spreads over my opened toed sandals.... this causes me to jump back and look down.....

"IS THAT....?" I grimaced, All to discover it was exactly what I had feared.

The lovely black Labrador who had befriended me so very nicely when we first arrived decided to return for a visit and leave a longterm mark on this newfound friendship. The Labrador found me and decided to PEE RIGHT ON MY FEET!!!

To my amazement, the store owner was watching all this, and simply remarked from behind the counter, "Oh, did he pee again? Don't worry, I'll put some newspaper over it." And she did just that, leaving the pee-soaked headlines in the middle of her store for all the see.

I am so blown away, it took everything in my power to simply pay the woman and walk out of the store so I could release my desperately hidden outburst of laughter! "Who would have thought!" I exclaimed to Erick and Angeleen (who were also in a combination of amazement and disgust.)
 "How is it that in the middle of a nice, established mall, this women allows her dogs to roam around and pee in her store?"
Never before had I ever seen something so strange and I could not help but just laugh for minutes after.

I learned a new phrase that day, which means something similar to , "WHAT A DAY" or "WHAT A TIME!" "QUE PASADA!"
I looked to Erick and commented, "It sure was quite the hot spot!"
The City Mall Where We Found the Souvenir Shop

Honduran Souvenir Shop

To give you an idea of what the dogs looked like.
However, take notice that these Labradors are outside - like those other dogs should have been! haha

Erick and I after it was all said and done.

5 comments:

  1. SICK! That's crazy! I could see maybe a small dog but TWO giant labs? That have a history of foot-peeing? Seriously people.

    Glad you found your purse though. All's well that ends well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW RIGHT??!!! I really couldn't believe it - I was in shock! haha Yes, all is well that ends well, and it was DEFINITELY a story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I was gonna try to walk you to meet Raleigh but you know how bad your friends are with directions???

    http://iridf.org/2012/05/20/iridf-officially-endorses-seamas-de-faoite-aka-james-white-for-president-of-the-third-dail/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I GOT IT OK?

    http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/392222_2420693636513_1781537131_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/48_509371789682_199110362_30466649_5105_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete